Mr. Bill and Miz Mona

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Volcanos, earthquakes and tsunamis

Acts of God.
That is what these things are often called in insurance fine print and news reports, but is that accurate? Romans 8:22 says"...that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth..."

Global warming, the position of the moon, alien invaders...Humans like explanations. We want to know why and we want to know now! Toddlers learning to talk tend toward a couple of words that, in my opinion, really express the innermost heart of people- no, why and mine. Control and explanation.

"Says who?"
"You and what army?"
"Who put you in charge of my life?"

I love to watch those science shows that give you insight into the workings of creation. Whales and oceans and atoms and electrons. Gravity, chemical interaction, cause and effect. They scratch an itch in my brain, make me feel like I understand the how, why and wherefore of what goes on around me. But do I?
Do I actually know more? Really? Or is it like a child's blankie, held onto as a protection against the Great Unknown?
It seems to me that, the more we discover, the more we find out that we can't really explain. What holds molecules together? Why is water wet? How does my nose smell things? How big is a black hole?
Explanations are forthcoming, deep and wise and lengthy. But eventually, if you keep asking, like the small child, "But WHY?"  the answers run out and someone says in exasperation, "BECAUSE!!"

Clear back in the beginning, in the Garden of Eden (yes, I believe in that stuff) there were two trees that God told us to leave alone- the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and the tree of life. And which one did we get suckered into? Bingo! Knowledge! And we have been at it ever since. Here we are, in a perfect world with a perfect relationship with God and we think we need to find out what's what from a tree. God was right there. Did we ask Him our whys? Nope. Listened to a liar and went to a tree. How dumb can you get and still breathe?
 
I struggle nearly every day with why. Oh, and how, I musn't forget how.  I am trying hard to learn how to ask for life, for peace that surpasses knowing, for grace and mercy and for empathy toward others. Acceptance, forgiveness, strength for the day, but I always seem to come back around to why. "But I don't understand, Father- why??"

Today, again, I ask for Your help, Spirit. Help me to trust and obey, help me to release my obsession with why and instead look for the answer that comes from Who. Help me to understand that sometimes I just need to be still and know that God is God and that this is enough for today.

God bless you and keep you and make His face shine upon you.
Mona

No comments:

Post a Comment