Mr. Bill and Miz Mona

Thursday, March 17, 2011

What do you do when you don't know what to do?

Psalms 46:10 says,"Be still and know that I am God."
Sounds simple enough. Sort of. 

In the New American Standard Version it is,"Cease your striving and know that I am God."
Be still. Cease striving. Quit pushing and prodding and    just. be. still.       
Quiet
        motionless
and know.

Know what?   That God is God.
I am not.

There are so many things that I don't have an answer for, that I cannot untangle. It is hard for me to leave a puzzle unsolved, a question unanswered. Goes against the grain.
I like to talk things out, fix the problem and move on. Life doesn't always work that way, though. Some problems actually cannot be solved, some problems cannot be fixed. At least, not by me.
That is the trick, isn't it? To quit trying to find the right angle of approach, the way through the maze and to the cheese of a solution.
I hate that.
 Makes me feel like a failure.
 Grrrr.

But that isn't the way God seems to look at it.

Be still.
Not hold still, be still.    Silent, inside and out. Not straining, not striving, not trying. 
Be still. Like quiet water. Reflective. Pure. Clean.
Empty of self, open to the Spirit.   Ready to know.
That word speaks to me of intimacy. Not just a passing acquaintance but rather a long-standing relationship.
The kind that doesn't always have to use words to communicate. Where a smile or a wink or gesture can tell a whole story of familiarity.Where explanation may not happen, but there is still trust. An understanding of character that does not insist on knowing every detail of why and why not.
Trust.
To be known.
Understood. Appreciated. Valued.

And what do I know?

That He is GOD.

All knowing
All powerful
All wise and all loving
The First and the Last
Creator
Redeemer
Provider
Protector........
The list goes on and on

How I struggle with that!!
My head and my heart argue back and forth, "WHY??" I cry, or "Why NOT??"
And there isn't always an answer. And when the answer doesn't come and doesn't come and doesn't come and the problem won't go away, won't untangle, won't be solved (by me).
The little Voice in my spirit whispers,
"Be still. Cease your striving. Know Me. Trust me. Be still."

"Be still......"

No comments:

Post a Comment